Mike Honey - Manga Solutions on Tue, 19 Mar 2013 19:41:43
I'm trying to re-install SQL Server 2012 Enterprise on a laptop that had an expired Trial edition. Every step of this process is painfully slow, taking 5-10 minutes or more to launch and move between most steps in the Setup wizard. In my Task Manager I can see ScenarioEngine.exe thrashing 100% of 1 core during that time.
OK its not a powerful laptop but it is running Windows 7, Office 2013, SQL 2008 R2 OK. All the SQL 2008 R2 services are stopped BTW.
I'm puzzled what that process could be working on e.g. while moving from the Feature Selection step to the Installation Rules step?
And when it hangs it really hangs - I cant even move the window around it is so stuck.
I'm starting Setup.exe as Administrator, from a C: drive folder.
Does anyone know how to avoid this issue?
Alberto Morillo on Tue, 19 Mar 2013 19:53:19
Using Task Manager, determine how much memory is available?
What processor the computer has? Does SQL Server setup show any hardware warning on setup rules?
Hope this helps.
Maggie Luo on Wed, 20 Mar 2013 07:23:26
SQL Server Enterprise 2012 is not supported on Windows 7. You could choose other SQL Server 2012 editions such as SQL Server Standard 2012 and so on.
Please refer to Hardware and Software Requirements for Installing SQL Server 2012: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms143506.aspx.
Mike Honey - Manga Solutions on Wed, 20 Mar 2013 08:09:50
Task Managers says 1.3GB memory available.
Processor is Intel Core 2 Duo 2.5GHz.
The only warning was for the Firewall.
Ahmed Ibrahim - MSFT on Wed, 20 Mar 2013 08:28:28
Would you please share/upload SQL Server setup logs, you can upload log files to file sharing/storage service like SkyDrive.com.
Mike Honey - Manga Solutions on Mon, 25 Mar 2013 13:24:16
Here's the link to my setup logs:
Alberto Morillo on Mon, 25 Mar 2013 14:11:07
I found the following error on the logs:
(01) 2013-03-21 07:08:55 SQLEngine: Failed to open registry key SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL11.SQL2012\MSSQLServer\SuperSocketNetLib or set its security descriptor. Attempted to perform an unauthorized operation..
Could you try to open up the registry, navigate to the registry key and provide the administrator access to the registry key.
For more information:
Hope this helps.
Maggie Luo on Thu, 28 Mar 2013 09:17:56
I’m writing to follow up with you on this post. Was the problem resolved after performing our action plan steps?
If you are satisfied with our solution, I’d like to mark this issue as "Answered". Please also feel free to unmark the issue, with any new findings or concerns you may have.
See other lastest posts
visual studio test
- VS Load Test - Can I embed a urls (both indivual and containing dependent requests) within a parent Page url that the load test results identifies the Parent url only
- Sample code or steps for Keyword Driven framework using Coded UI
- Coded UITest ..FailedToPerformActionOnHiddenControlException
- A/B testing methodologies
- Is it possible to setup multi-session testing within coded ui tests?