Question

Eric Sammann on Wed, 04 Jan 2017 15:55:57


Hello,

I recently updated our servers with the latest windows updates and also with the December 2016 CU.  Previously we were on the October 2015 CU.  After running these updates we found some web parts that use Xslt that stopped working.  Strangely, I have also found some other web parts that use Xslt that are still working, in the same farm and same site collection. I have not been able to figure out what is different about the few web parts that are broken that is different from the working site.

The error on the web page is:

Unable to display this Web Part. To troubleshoot the problem, open this Web page in a Microsoft SharePoint Foundation-compatible HTML editor such as Microsoft SharePoint Designer. If the problem persists, contact your Web server administrator.


Correlation ID:77c5c79d-eb4f-a020-2df4-d61a0a916976

If I use that Correlation ID and look in the ULS logs I see the following errors that might be helpful.

Setting [Display] as the FormContext.FormMode for the current page

Error while executing web part: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.   
 at Microsoft.SharePoint.WebControls.SPDataSourceView.ExecuteSelect(DataSourceSelectArguments selectArguments, String aggregateString, Boolean wantReturn, BaseXsltListWebPart webpart, SPListItem& listItem, SPListItemCollection& listItems, String[]& fieldList)   
 at Microsoft.SharePoint.WebControls.SingleDataSource.GetXPathNavigatorInternal()   
 at Microsoft.SharePoint.WebControls.SingleDataSource.GetXPathNavigator()   
 at Microsoft.SharePoint.WebPartPages.DataFormWebPart.GetXPathNavigator(String viewPath)   
 at Microsoft.SharePoint.WebPartPages.DataFormWebPart.PrepareAndPerformTransform(Boolean bDeferExecuteTransform)

I have seen one post that suggested to remove KB2844286, but that didn't work for me.

I also saw another post that suggested to extend the XsltTransformTimeOut.  I have extended it to 10000 ms and that slso hasn't helped me. http://techtrainingnotes.blogspot.com/2016/01/unable-to-display-this-web-part-after.html

Any ideas on what could be wrong with these web parts?

Replies

Sara Fan on Thu, 05 Jan 2017 02:34:29


Hi Eric Sammann,

Did you do the any other operations after installing the windows updates?

To troubleshoot the issue, you could check things below:

1. Open the page which has the issue in advanced mode in the SharePoint designer, and re-save the page.

2. Check the permission of the user on the corresponding library or list from web part. If the user does not have the permission in the list or library when adding the list or library in other page, it will display “Unable to display web part”.

3. Consider removing the windows update you have installed.

4. Reset IIS.

5. Reboot the server.

More reference:

Microsoft SharePoint applications may encounter errors while executing web parts.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2872441

Best regards,

Sara Fan

Eric Sammann on Tue, 10 Jan 2017 17:57:10


Hi Sara,

Thank you for the suggestions.  I had actually tried each of them already though, except rebooting the server. 

I ended up finding the solution though.  For some reason there were some asp:Parameter tags in the DataFormParameter that were causing the web parts to not work.  I believe they were used for paging so that the web part didn't show hundreds of records at one time.  I have no idea how they got there though.  It seems something about the update triggered them to go into these pages.  I think these tags were there in SharePoint 2007 and worked okay.  I vaguely remember removing them a couple of years ago when we upgraded to SharePoint 2013.  So if the update had something to do with this then the update might have reverted these web part pages to a previous version or something.

Anyway, the pages are working now and the solution was to remove tags that look like this:

<asp:Parameter DefaultValue="0" Name="StartRowIndex"></asp:Parameter>
<asp:Parameter DefaultValue="0" Name="nextpagedata"></asp:Parameter>
<asp:Parameter DefaultValue="25" Name="MaximumRows"></asp:Parameter>

Just FYI in case anyone else ends up having a similar problem.

Thanks,

Eric

Sara Fan on Wed, 11 Jan 2017 00:43:08


Hi Eric Sammann,

It is very happy that you have resolved your problem.

Thank you for your sharing and it will help others have the same issue.

You could mark your reply as answer. Thanks for your understanding.

Best regards,

Sara Fan

Nilesh Vishwas Patil on Fri, 13 Jan 2017 09:43:01


only remove following two tag from data view web part.

<asp:Parameter DefaultValue="0" Name="StartRowIndex"></asp:Parameter>
< asp:Parameter DefaultValue="0" Name="nextpagedata"></asp:Parameter>

Sara Fan on Fri, 13 Jan 2017 09:56:49


Hi Eric Sammann,

Thank you for your sharing.

You could mark your reply as answer. Thanks for your understanding.

Best regards,

Sara Fan

Sachin BR on Thu, 23 Mar 2017 11:31:37


In many cases, along with removing following two tag fromthe concerned web parts. We need to have KB article (#KB2844286) installed in our sharepoint servers.

<asp:Parameter DefaultValue="0" Name="StartRowIndex"></asp:Parameter>
< asp:Parameter DefaultValue="0" Name="nextpagedata"></asp:Parameter>

Ludanto on Tue, 25 Apr 2017 19:37:10


I started having this problem in March.  True, removing that asp tag "fixes" the problem, but only if you don't want to move between pages of data.  Without that tag, there's no "nextpagedata" and so there are no arrows to display the next (10, 100, whatever) items in the list.