Question

Denis Lepropre (TD-Group) on Wed, 02 Aug 2017 05:27:58

Hello,

I am newbie in Azure Database for PostgreSQL and I would like to host my DB with this service. The problem is that the application which connects to the DB does not allow a DB login containing characters like "@" which seems to be by default here.

Is there any way to void the "@" character in the login name ?

Thanks a lot.

Denis

Sponsored

Replies

Lin Leng on Wed, 02 Aug 2017 09:46:02

Hi Denis,

>>Is there any way to void the "@" character in the login name ?

As far as I know, this is currently not possible with Azure Database for PostgreSQL. Could you electorate more on the scenario? 

If you have any other questions, please let me know.

Regards,
Lin

Denis Lepropre (TD-Group) on Wed, 02 Aug 2017 11:33:55

Hello Lin,

Thanks for following.

The sceanrio is actually quite simple. I want to run a supervision server (running linux and a proprietary supervision solution) onto Azure to avoid hosting it on my own infrastructure and to benefit from all advantages provided by Azure (reliability, scalability, accessibility, ...). This server is supposed to be interfaced with a PostgreSQL databse.

The supervision solution does not allow some special character in the DB connection login name such as "@". So currently there is no way for me to connect this supervision server with an Azure Database for PostgreSQL.

Best regards,

Denis

Saloni Sonpal on Thu, 03 Aug 2017 18:37:00

Hi Denis,

Can you please share which solution you're particularly referring to and which language is this coded in? We have connection strings listed in Azure Portal to help you connect and escape characters, have you got a chance to look at those? "@" in the username is a requirement for our underlying protocol, but we can enable your scenario if you share more details.

If it's easier, feel free to email me on saloni(dot)sonpal(at)microsoft(dot)com.

Saloni

Denis Lepropre (TD-Group) on Fri, 04 Aug 2017 08:47:31

Hello Saloni,

We are talking about a Watchguard Dimension server which is basically a monitoring and a remote control application over all our customers' Watchguard firewalls.

This application does not support some special characters like "@" in the database login name (see at the end of this page).

Currently our Dimension Server is already running into Azure againt another full PostgreSQL VM made with the one provided by Docker on the Azure Marketplace.

Azure Database for PostgreSQL would be really preferable for several reasons : costs, availabily, scalability, no VM administration/maintenance, ...

Thanks in advance,

Denis.