VS 2008 BI expression editor closing in Windows 8

Category: c# ide

Question

dpicts on Thu, 29 Nov 2012 19:10:30

Recently upgraded my PCs to Win8 and now I am trying to edit a SSRS report in VS 2008 and I encountering a problem:

if I right click in a cell and select "Expression", the expression editor pops up, but as soon as I click in the window it closes (fade away). I've tried it on two different PCs (both win8) and with multiple reports, they all have the same problem (and it worked a few weeks ago before I upgraded to win8) Has anyone else experienced this or know of a work around?

Replies

Mike Yin on Fri, 30 Nov 2012 10:50:38

Hi dpicts,

Based on the current information, the issue seems to be caused by the BIDS or Visual Studio corrupt during the upgrade of the Operating System. To narrow down the root cause, I suggest that you follow the steps below:

1. Click Start -> Visual Studio 2008 -> Visual Studio tools -> Visual Studio Command Prompt to start the command line tool.
2. Run the command and see whether the issue occurs in Visual Studio Safe Mode:
    devenv /safemode
3. If it can run properly, please run the following command lines and run the Visual studio again to see whether it can solve this issue:
    devenv /resetSettings

If the issue persists, I suggest that you uninstall and reinstall the SQL Server BIDS. To do this, we can select SQL Server 2008 to unistall from the Control Panel, and select the Business Intelligence Development Studio shared feature to uninstall. If it doesn't work, it is recommended that you reinstall the Visual Studio 2008 as well.

Regards,
Mike Yin

If you have any feedback on our support, please click here