Question

Jean-Yves Hug on Wed, 01 Jun 2016 06:20:57


I wrote this post because I think it can be useful for some peoples.

Context:

A new 3rd part software ( Ecspand ) has been install just before the problem happened.

Symptoms:

When the SharePoint crawl is started fast all documents are in Error status in the Crawl Log.
The error which occurs for all document is:
The item could not be indexed successfully because the item failed in the indexing subsystem.

The item could not be indexed successfully because the item failed in the indexing subsystem. ( The item could not be indexed successfully because the item failed in the indexing subsystem.; Caught exception when preparing generation GID[42]: (IndexComponent2-394a3109-b463-48a3-b793-dd2616ac78c4-SP36ee812770b3.I.1.0: Cannot open &$E:\SearchIndex\SP36ee812770b3.21.I.1.0\ms\%default\part.0000002a/dp.mfs|/urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office.info. ); Aborting insert of item in Link Database because it was not inserted to the Search Index.; ; SearchID = 1236D1AA-66F6-43EA-BAFC-89F17E207E8F )

Cause:

This happened when we configured the 3rd part software, there was an option which has been activated which set all Managed Properties (in the Search Schema) as "Sortable". In Our case, more than 1500 properties. With a Microsoft Support Engineer, we found it and he explain us that depending the operating system performance, this cause some Lock on handle, and we was apparently at the maximum limit by us.

Resolution:

There is 2 variants for the resolution:
- Restore the search DBs (before this configuration)
or
- Create a PowerShell to set the ‚ÄúSortable" parameter for all properties to "No " (this script is just as example, test it before use in PROD)

$ssa = Get-SPEnterpriseSearchServiceApplication
Get-SPEnterpriseSearchMetadataManagedProperty -SearchApplication $ssa -Limit All |%{

$mp = $_.Name;

$property
= Get-SPEnterpriseSearchMetadataManagedProperty -SearchApplication $ssa -Identity $mp -ea silentlycontinue
$property.Sortable = $false
$property
.Update()

Write-Host $mp

}
- Check in our Test system which properties was set to sortable before the change
- Set manually (or with script ) these parameter back to "sortable"
- Reset the index
- Clear the SharePoint Cache + IISRESET
- Restart "SharePoint Search Host Controller" + "SharePoint Search 15" Services
- Restart the Crawl

Replies

Dean_Wang on Thu, 02 Jun 2016 01:55:52


Hi,

Thanks for your sharing.

Thanks,

Dean Wang