Will there be a Service Fabric managed service?

Category: azure service fabric

Question

Khaled Hikmat on Fri, 27 Jan 2017 13:02:45

I have been looking into Service Fabric for a while! I have really not done anything significant in it but I think it is quite nice. Recently we established a business need that requires something like SF to get it going. This forced me to look into the deployment aspects of SF and I am finding that, for a small company like ours, SF could become quite expensive to operate from two perspectives: money and maintenance.

We need at least 8 nodes (i.e. 5 for the back and 3 for the front) and the VMs alone would easily exceed $1000 per month.

Also setting up a secure cluster is a chore and ultimately we are responsible for the security & maintenance of each node. I think this is a step in the wrong direction for us as we moved most everything the PaaS side and we really don't want to be responsible for VMs again.

Hence the question. Are there plans for SF to have a managed service where we just rent managed nodes (that we can scale up and down) in a shared environment?

NOTE: if this forum is not the right place to ask such question, please let me know where else to post it. Thanks.

Regards

Khaled Hikmat

Replies

Matt Snider on Fri, 27 Jan 2017 17:58:52

Yeah we are looking at building such a thing but I don't think there is a timeframe at this time.

We are also looking at ways to reduce the cost of the VMs, particularly by allowing you to use smaller VMs and still get the reasonable reliability/durability levels, which would help reduce your costs without sacrificing the safety or uptime of your service.

Khaled Hikmat on Fri, 27 Jan 2017 18:09:17

Hi Matt, thank you for your answer. 

Any timeframe on the smaller VMs solution? We are at a point where we have an early alpha SF app written and being tested on a non-secure cluster and we have two other possible SF apps that we would like to develop. But we are not sure how to proceed with an actual deployment. If we start out with the smaller VMs, can we easily move to a managed service once available?

A managed service would be really fantastic ...if u have even an alpha version, we will be willing to try it out as this is the only we see ourselves using SF. 

Thanks & Regards

Matt Snider on Fri, 27 Jan 2017 18:31:51

Allowing higher availability/reliability levels for smaller VMs should be rolling out in the next few weeks. You'll notice it when smaller VMs sizes start appearing even if you select higher availability/reliability levels. 

There's really nothing I can speak to about the capabilities of the managed service thing at this time. It is very early.

Khaled Hikmat on Fri, 27 Jan 2017 18:34:38

Ok...thanks. 

If we start out with the smaller VMs, can we easily move to a managed service once available? Or is that something you cannot answer at this time?

Regards