Agent/Heartbeat Availibility

Category: azure operational insights

Question

Munir Tajudin on Tue, 06 Aug 2019 22:06:32

Hello everyone, 

I am building a custom Log Analytic Workspace for my customer and one of the criteria is to show server availability. After I create a view and set the query for checking the availability. I notice that some of the heartbeat is missing. Let say I have 2 VM connected to log analytic. sometimes it show 60 minute heartbeat, sometimes is less but plus minus is between 55minutes to 60 Minutes but the vm is running all the time without any restart or shutdown.

Anyone has encounter the same issue ? if yes, would you guys mind to share some of workaround or solution that are available?

Thanks in advance. 

Munir Tajudin

Replies

SwathiDhanwada-MSFT on Thu, 08 Aug 2019 10:19:35

Thanks for reaching out! Heartbeat of the VM is recorded for every minute in windows  and every 5 mins in Linux.AFAIK, unless if the data is not ingested to log analytics it would always record the heartbeats. Here is a query with which i have verified. Kindly cross verify from your end too.

Heartbeat
| where TimeGenerated>ago(24h)
| summarize count() by bin(TimeGenerated, 1h), Computer

I have reproduced the issue from my end and i am able to see that the heartbeat is shown as 60 min per hour. In the chart, the dip can be seen as i have restarted the machine.

Munir Tajudin on Fri, 09 Aug 2019 09:14:17

Hello Swathi, 

Here is result from my LAB 

Can you advise me … 

Thanks 

SwathiDhanwada-MSFT on Mon, 12 Aug 2019 06:47:51

From the snapshot provided, i could see that all the computers has less number of heartbeat counts around the same time. Can you please verify if there are network glitches around the time. If not, if the number of heartbeat counts vary very frequently i would recommend to raise support request by following these steps to troubleshoot the issue further.If you don't have support plan,send mail to AzCommunity@microsoft.com,include subscription ID and a link to the MSDN thread (for context).

Munir Tajudin on Tue, 13 Aug 2019 23:42:52

Hello Swathi, 

I have sent this query to AZcommunity@microsoft.com. Hope they will able to find the root cause and solve this puzzle.