error moving around members in a hierarchy

Category: sql server masterdata

Question

Cos2008 on Thu, 04 Dec 2014 15:51:28

hi all -- in MDS 2012,  I am trying to move around members in Explorer (under different parents in an hierarchy) and get the following error, that does not seem to be very descriptive  -- does anyone have any background on it and how it can be mitigated?  

thx a big bunch,

Cos

System.NullReferenceException: [Arg_NullReferenceException]

Arguments:

Debugging resource strings are unavailable. Often the key and arguments provide sufficient information to diagnose the problem. See http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=106663&Version=5.1.30514.00&File=mscorlib.dll&Key=Arg_NullReferenceException

at Microsoft.MasterDataServices.Client.View.UserControls.EntityMembersDataForm.IsCurrentMemberReadonly()

at Microsoft.MasterDataServices.Client.View.UserControls.EntityMembersDataForm.UpdateStaticFields()

at Microsoft.MasterDataServices.Client.View.UserControls.EntityMembersDataForm.MemberDataForm_ContentLoaded(Object sender, DataFormContentLoadEventArgs e)

at System.Windows.Controls.DataForm.OnContentLoaded(DataFormContentLoadEventArgs e)

at System.Windows.Controls.DataForm.OnContentRootElementLoaded(Object sender, RoutedEventArgs e)

at MS.Internal.CoreInvokeHandler.InvokeEventHandler(UInt32 typeIndex, Delegate handlerDelegate, Object sender, Object args)

at MS.Internal.JoltHelper.FireEvent(IntPtr unmanagedObj, IntPtr unmanagedObjArgs, Int32 argsTypeIndex, Int32 actualArgsTypeIndex, String eventName, UInt32 flags)

Replies

Vincent Chen (X) on Thu, 04 Dec 2014 22:37:56

Which is the exact version of SQL Server 2012. Did you applied on any SP or CU?

I am not able to repro on SQL Server 2014 which code is same as SQL Server 2012 with all the packs.
I created an entity with explicit hierarchy and derived hierarchy. I can drag the leaf from one node to the other. So I am wondering if it is something already fixed in the later SQL 2012 SP/CUs.

Sherry_Li on Fri, 05 Dec 2014 17:44:41

Hi, please make sure that you have the latest CU for Sql2012 and let us know if the issue still repros.

Thanks,

Sherry

Cos2008 on Fri, 05 Dec 2014 19:23:47

the version we have is 11.0.5058  -- I believe SP2.
Any CU's after that that have MDS related critical issues?

thx

vishal.... _ on Mon, 15 Dec 2014 19:27:29

If you are trying to move members across hierarchy , do you mean by rearranging levels of hierarchy  ? if so thers is no way to shuffle levels of hierarchy wihout droping and  recreating it.  I beielve you also need to re map domain based attibutes with appropriate relations.