Question

Raid_ABD on Fri, 25 Nov 2016 19:41:29

Hi All

I had 2 nodes of SQL SERVERS 2008 with MS Cluster 2008. The 5 disks (quorum, MSDTC, Database file, Database backup and database logs) are located on hp storage and connected via iSCSI. The cluster was working just fine BUT because of storage issue we lost the 5 disks and we lost the cluster configuration. We contact Hp and they fixed the issue of the storage and we successfully retrieved the 5 disks of the SQL cluster but unfortunately we lost the configuration of MS-cluster during tries of getting the disks online.

The situation now is as follows:

1- The two nodes (SQL01 and SQL02) are in good condition and both can connect to the storage 5 disk and both has SQL SERVER 2008 installed.

2- The Network is very good and healthy.

3- The database files, database backups, database logs are in good condition.

4- The cluster basic build has been done successfully and the validation was OK with no failure or storage issue.

I need your help with complete the re-configuration the ms cluster so that I get the SQL Server cluster working. What type of services and application need to be configured on the cluster.

Thank You 

Raid

Sponsored

Replies

Sunil Gure on Mon, 28 Nov 2016 05:07:49

Looks everything Ok here from resources perspective..what challenge you are facing? Do you see any error into Cluster manager or you do not see any resources in cluster manager at all?

Raid_ABD on Tue, 29 Nov 2016 20:33:37

Thanks Sunil

The challenge was how to add both node again to the cluster, I have tried to do this using by making the cluster and use the sql server setup to add them but I could not do it. The installation says they are already members of the cluster but they are not!, I tried repair and did not work.

The decision now is to uninstall the sql from both nodes and make fresh installation for both Ms-Cluster and sql server, then attached the database files. The new License of SQL server arrived and I will start the installation tomorrow or the day after. We have windows 2008 R2 SP1 so we will install SQL SERVER 2014 to get the engine back.

Best Regards

Raid

rvsc48 on Tue, 29 Nov 2016 21:00:55

Hi Raid,

Just a thought - you may want to make sure you have your databases' data and log files saved somewhere safe to re-attach and have scripted out your logins and sql server jobs so you can re-create them.  Also, make sure you patch (Sql Server version) to the Sql Server cluster nodes to the same or higher level as the version they were on.

Raid_ABD on Tue, 29 Nov 2016 21:45:10

Hi Sunil and rvsc48

I have build up Temp Single DB server (Standard 2008 R2) and it host all the production database.

I have copied the all the database files and logs and the backup as well in different storage drive (they are old now but just in case the client needs them).

Currently, I have 2 VMs (hyper -V) windows server 2008 R2 SP1 x64bit (4 core, 24 GB RAM) to use them in building the cluster. I will install SQL SERVER STANDARD 2014 SP2 (or I should use SP1, Please advise) to install SQL Cluster.

1- I will format the cluster disk (5 Cluster Disks, Quorum, MSDTC, DB Files, DB Logs, DB Backup).

2- Clear the nodes and Re-Build the cluster from scratch.

3- Install SQL cluster on Node1, and finally add Node2.

After that I will attached the databases to the new build 2014 cluster (or take a full backup from the temp 2008R2 database server) and do maintenance plane to do the DB backup and bring the system up to the production network.

The above are the Head Lines to my procedure. Is it OK.

Best Regards

Raid

rvsc48 on Wed, 30 Nov 2016 13:41:31

Raid, with regard to your question on which Sql Server version to install (SP1 or SP2), you will want to install either the same level which you had previously or higher.  Anything lower and you will not be able to restore the databases due to going to a lower level.  

Raid_ABD on Wed, 30 Nov 2016 22:15:35

Hi rvsc48 Currently We have sql 2008 standard R2 64 bit We got new license of install sql 2014 standard sp2 64 bit Is there any problem with that? Best regards Raid

Teige Gao on Fri, 02 Dec 2016 05:42:48

Hi Raid_ABD,

According to your description, you want to attach the database on SQL Server 2012 to SQL Server 2014.

The higher version of SQL Server is compatible with the lower version, we can attach the database of SQL Server 2012 to SQL Server 2014.

Best Regards,
Teige